Friday, December 14, 2007

DOC: Days 8-14

Whoa. I have really slacked on documenting this. We also skipped a day (hanging my head in shame) due to a VERY busy work/calling week and sick kiddos.

Day 8: Help with Homemade Gifts - sorry, no pictures of this one as several of the recipients of said gifts read this blog. I will definitely post after Christmas (but they did turn out great, if I do say so myself).

Day 9: Make homemade wrapping paper and wrap gifts. For this one I just rolled out some butcher paper, busted out some of my holiday stamps and let the kids go to town.



Day 10: Make a Christmas Craft (Handprint wreaths). Flew by the seat of my pants with this one since Al unexpectedly had to work late this night. M didn't really "get" the whole handprint thing. It turned out cute anyway!


Day 11: Hang the stockings - Al and I did this one ourselves after we finished our sign. Oops. Sick kids

Day 12: Make Reindeer cookies - Hilary had these cute cookies on her blog. So SUPER easy but I love them. I used a red M&M for the nose but she showed a cute red lollipop (minus the stick) for the nose. I wanted to take these to playgroup so I opted for the M&M since there are a lot of really little kids in our playgroup. Also, if I had to do them again, I would use my cookie recipe and not add the chocolate chips. You could also do PB cookies but I know there are lots of kids with allergies so I opted for chocolate chip instead. My little helpers loved breaking the pretzels for the antlers and separating out the red M&Ms.





Day 13: Make a homemade ornament - I kind of cheated here since this was the craft I did for the playgroup. Aren't these cute? I got the idea from Andrea's blog (good thing I have such creative friends, huh!)

Day 14: Make Grandma's eggnog recipe (and drink, of course) - So I know a lot of people hate eggnog, but I promise this is because they have never had my mom's eggnog. My own husband was a huge skeptic until he tried it the first time. We made it tonight after dinner and it is soooo YUM!
So here is the recipe, just in case you want to try it (trust me, you should try it).



2 eggs, beaten (0r 1/2 cup Eggbeaters, which is what I always use because they are pasteurized)
15 0z. can condensed milk
1 qt. (4 c.) milk
1 t. vanilla
1/2 pt. whipping cream, whipped
fresh grated nutmeg


Combine egg, condensed milk, vanilla and beat well. Add milk. Gently beat in whipped cream. Sprinkle top with nutmeg. Serve Immediately.

8 comments:

Jan Russell said...

Omigoodness, I am such a total sloth. I need to do more fun things with my kids - you are amazing! I am going to make those reindeer cookies for H's class party, so thanks for the tips and that wrapping paper is SO, SO CUTE - I love that idea! I'm so stealing it! Grandparents will flip for it, don't you think?

mindy said...

I love everything! Still taking notes and will make that egg nog one day.

Anonymous said...

Three cheers for the good old egg nog. I tasted some store-type egg nog this week at a party. As usual, I didn't like it at all. There's just something about that flavor.

Glad to see the traditions of real egg nog carried on.

Give those kids a squeeze. What a good mama they have.

Mom

andrea said...

Sooooo many cute ideas. I have never committed to an avent calendar because there wasn't room for three pieces of candy in any of them, LOL...this is a MUCH better idea. I am taking notes as well and plan to start the same thing next year. I LoVE the wrapping paper especially!

Tracie Frost said...

Q, these are such great ideas. I'm jealous that we're between houses this year and haven't been able to do a lot of holiday stuff. (I started but kids got sick and Eva started school and there are a million things to do to move into a new house!) Maybe next year. But I LOVE those little reindeer and the wreaths and homemade wrapping paper. You are truly a creative genius!

Hilary said...

what a fun Mom you are! We did "DOC" last year and I typed up all the ideas this year, purchased supplies and then ... ran out of energy. :P Yay for you!!! Love the homemade wrapping paper too and Andrea's snowman. FUN! (and mmmm on the homemade eggnog! Thanks for the recipe!)

Arnold said...

Hi There,

I'm looking at your egg nog recipe. Is it sweetened condensed milk? Otherwise there is no sugar anywhere (or do we sweeten the whipping cream?).

We enjoy your blog.

Carolyn Loveridge

Freer Family said...

What a fun holiday season you are creating for your kids. I am mentally filing these ideas away for next year. Everything is so fun, easy and adorable as can be. You are such a fun Mom!